Saturday, July 24, 2010

Inception and Beyond

Thank you Mr Christopher Nolan for the wonderful movie that Inception is. Rarely does a movie get released that defies conventional thinking yet appeal to masses. Nolan doesn't underestimate the intelligence of the audience unlike his Bollywood counterparts; rather he places his movie a notch above our thoughts, challenging us to think. And that is the true victory of Inception - it keeps us on the edge of our seats and makes us audience think during the entire one hundred and forty eight minutes, and after as well. Leonardo Dicaprio is becoming that Tom Hanks kind of actor whose name itself is reason enough to go and watch a movie. He has not disappointed a bit in the last four movies of his that I have watched - The Departed, Blood Diamond, Revolutionary Road, and Shutter Island. 

There is this weird thing with me and landmark brilliant movies - I don't get to watch them when the whole world can't stop raving about. I watched Jurassic Park years later after it was released, that too on television. I haven't watched The Matrix yet. I got to see Avatar much later after the initial hype died down, and almost everyone I knew had watched it. Fortunately, Inception has defied this trend and I couldn't be gladder. Inception has also prompted me to look for other movies that explored mind, mystery, and dreams. I hit upon this wonderful list of cerebral sci-fi movies that look worth watching over and over again . Another find, though not on that list is Mullholland Drive. Hope I would get to watch at least few among these one day.

0 comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.5 India License